You have returned to college after break, and something blows over you. When you first entered college, it was there, and it somehow returns every time. The thought that you will not see familiar faces or an environment that you are accustomed to is startling. You are so afraid that it clouds your mind and prohibits you from escaping its hold. It tells you that you will not be able to escape.
It doesn’t have to be that way because I have been through the same situation you have, and I have learned a few things along the way that have definitely made an impact on my response.
Here are 5 Tips for Dealing with Homesickness:
- Accept It: You are homesick, and it is okay. So many people have or are still going through the same thing as you. You are not alone.
- Be Vocal: By doing so, you are able to push away from the hold that homesickness has on your life and gain support from those who care about your well-being and state of mind.
- Accept Help: This can be a hard one because no one wants to admit that they are weak, but the truth of the matter is that strength lies in numbers. God says that when two or three are gathered together in His name, He is there. The more help you have, the better. So take it with a smile on your face because those who are willing to help are meant to stick around.
- Pray: This is the most important thing that I have learned throughout my experience with homesickness. Prayer works. Once I decided that I could not handle the situation on my own and surrendered it to God, I felt a sense of relief. My faith was lifted, and in that faith, I received strength.
- Do Not Be Alone: If you take nothing else from this post, remember this. If you are unable to accept it, speak about it, gain help or have faith, surround yourself with the people that you care about. Talk to your family and friends regularly until you are able to come to terms with what is going on.
Homesickness is not easy. I still have glimpses of it from time to time. However, due to the things that I have experienced and learned, I have been able to better myself and come to a place where it no longer controls me.
One thought on “5 Tips for Dealing with Homesickness”